Friday, November 04, 2005

Circa 2000

Have you ever experienced waking up some time near twilight, neither hearing any sound nor seeing any living thing? I have, and it's quite weird to the point of terrfying.

I wonder what caused that feeling, terror. Let me make it clear that it is not the case of the hermit who lives alone but with the comfort that there are people who live somewhere. It is not the same as the case of Rip van Winkle who woke up with a new generation before him. It is waking up with the knowledge that you are the only one alive, that every one is gone... that you are the only man in existence. I do not know what causes the feeling of terror. Is it because you realize that your family, friends, even your enemies are gone? Or is it because you realize that you are utterly alone? Losing your loved ones will bring pain and grief; the second one brings terror. So now we come to the question why?

Man, I believe, is a being in need of another that is why there are relationships. That is why there is friendship and the other strata of relations. Man basically needs to share with another, be it experience, music, knowledge, small talk, and find someone to relate to. Finding the person to share something with is the seed for happiness. Finding nobody, in this aspect, breeds the feeling of rejection and loneliness. Imagine then the emotion of having no possibilities at any point hereafter of meeting anyone to share anything with. That is hell.

So what am I saying? Enjoy life; be grateful not so much with what you have as for the people around you, especially your family and friends. Be more understanding and patient with them for they form the reason why you are happy and contented. Give a smile to those in need of it. Who knows? Maybe there will just be the two of you left in this world when you wake up sometime near twilight.

DISCLAIMER: This is NOT my original composition. I found it scribbled at the back of my English 11 notebook. As much as I would like to give credit to my source, I forgot who wrote it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2004. Some rights reversed.