Sunday, July 30, 2006

In the Still of the Night

The funny thing about working night shifts is that you don't know when exactly your day will start, or end. I haven't figured it out yet, and probably my family and my hunny are trying to adjust to me too. Or maybe not. Hehe. But I am still adjusting, which is why I was asleep from 1PM-9PM today and am awake now.

Weekend is the tricky part of working night shifts. By the time the weekend starts for everyone, I'm working my last shift. And when I awake from my slumber after resting from that last shift, everyone else is asleep. And you find out that during the time that you were asleep, they went to see the dentist, or the significant other, or went shopping at the mall, ate out, watched a movie. All of this, done while you were sleeping. Darn it.

I have tried to not sleep after my shift, even daring to drive to a faraway place. I was awake for the most part of the day and only felt tired and sleepy toward the afternoon. But of course, I still had to drive home. So there I was, driving alone back to the city with the other cars and trucks, with the darkness of the night slowly lulling me to sleep. While I was behind the wheel. I dreaded it, but it happened. I felt my eyes slowly closing, bit by bit, while I was trying to stay awake and focus on the road. It came to a point that I had to ask my hunny to ring my cellphone to keep me awake. Needless to say, I got home in one piece, and I will never do anything that stupid again.

So what is left for me to do? Well here I am, blogging, checking my Yahoo mail, updating my Friendster account, and trying to find something else to do while I'm on the Internet. I dare not check my office email, for fear of ruining the precious rest days that I have. I would have wanted to catch the last full show of the latest flick at the cinema, but I can't drag my sisters or my brother or my hunny along; they're all asleep. I can't eat out or go drinking with my friends, they're all resting as well.

Maybe, if I accept this as a way of life, I can get my "night-time friends," people who have the same predicament as I do. But then again, will I be allowed to go out at this time of the night? That's another story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2004. Some rights reversed.